Well, Tolkien had a lot more going on in his fictional neighborhood than I ever do, but we still badly needed a new front door.
Some of these DIY adventures are going to be out of order, but I’ll try to put them into context. After the Great Window Debacle of 2010, my dear husband and I decided that when we finally got around to replacing the front door of our house, we would not attempt to install the thing ourselves. Instead, we would throw money at it.
I should offer up a caveat–the door looks fine. Good, even. What you can’t see from the pictures are three things: lead paint, footlong scratches on both sides of the door, and daylight between the door and jamb. We tried weatherstripping it three separate times, and I could practically pictures $20s slipped through the cracks in the wintertime.
So, a new door it was. Here are the before pictures:
And here’s what I came home from work to see:
Obviously, that’s not the end of it. More pictures to come!